Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Eve - Things Undone

Quiet morning, cup of coffee, and Christmas tree lights aglow. I hold this moment like a fragile ornament, knowing all the yet to do things on my Christmas list. Still, I hold onto this peaceful moment a little longer. 

Like a soldier home from battle, I can't go back to the store with the crowds and chaos of choices. I've spent more hours there in the last week than I can count. What I've already bought will be enough. I have to remind myself, the things we're shopping for aren't found on department store shelves. 
Contentment, peace, and joy don't wear price tags.

My undone list: I didn't hang twinkling lights in the outside windows. I didn't bake a single cookie. What? That's borderline Scrooge! In my defense, I did decorate the tree, the one that's leaning to the left. My husband said if it tips over the wall will catch it. Peace of mind... And I've only wrapped a couple of gifts so far though a dozen precious people will walk in our front door Christmas morning.

Somehow the presents will get wrapped. My daughter said she might have 
time to bake a batch of cut out cookies - stars, bells, and trees. The ham dinner will most likely come together and land on the table as it did last year. And all this will take place by God's generous grace.  

So what are the truly undone things on our holiday lists? Things like Pastor Saeed, a prisoner in Iran, who is spending his third Christmas Eve in a cell. 
He needs us to pray. His wife and two young children will be without him again as he endures beatings, sickness, and hunger. All because he loves Jesus, the One born in Bethlehem 2,000 years ago. 

The Baby asleep in a manger surrounded by animals seeking a warm place 
for the night. We see it portrayed in church yards, on Christmas cards, and in our homes. Mary, Joseph, and the shepherds adoring the newborn King, the Light of the world who came to destroy the works of darkness.

Other things undone. Many of us have grown children and grandchildren who have wandered from the truth. In their darkness they can't see what they're missing. I pray they will catch a glimpse of our Savior's Light and find their 
way back to the manger. May they discover Adoration for the only One who 
can destroy the works of the enemy in their minds and hearts. Our prayers are the most valuable gifts we can give our children  for Christmas.

The decorations, gifts, and cookies do help make the holiday bright. But a truly Merry Christmas can only be found in the Light and Peace of Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment