Sunday, July 19, 2015

Fearing God from A to Z

J is for Joy

My mom and two sisters left yesterday after a week long visit to our house near the coast. Today, I feel like I should still be racing around serving guests in my own, inept way. It's like when you take off a pair of roller skates and put your shoes back on. Your feet feel like they should still be on wheels, making each step awkward.   

The mere thought of company coming instantly shows me all the housework I've been neglecting. This time I worked on cleaning every room. I even painted the bathroom. Though I've learned the hard way that I can't achieve perfect, I wanted everything to be as nice as possible. 

I cleaned, shopped, cooked, and reminded myself to breathe. But as always, my to do list outstretched the time I had to work at it. For instance, I forgot items when I shopped for their visit. Make a list? I did, but misplaced it on my way to the store. When they pulled in the driveway, the weeds, webs, and dusty windows greeted my guests along with me.   

In view of such short comings, what should our main goal be when entertaining company?  

Scripture says we serve God by serving others. He also encourages us to serve Him with joy and a glad heart for the abundance of all things (Deut. 28:47). Visitors bring us the chance to share our joy in the Lord with them. Authentic joy reflects gratitude for our blessings from God. He loves to see us rejoice, even if the kitchen floor stills needs replaced. Even though the dogs bark and beg, and the top of the fridge wears a six month coat of dust. 

The fear of the Lord, a verb phrase, includes all the colorful, joyful ways we express His Word. Next time company drops in, we can rejoice! Not in a house well-cleaned, or a meal well-cooked, but in a God-honoring visit well-shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment