Friday, February 7, 2014

The Tale of Two Rooms


Why do we settle for so much less when God offers so much more? The 
Lord showed me a vivid example of this on an out-of-town job with my husband. 

After dinner we pulled into a motel that looked okay and affordable. 
I was disappointed their rooms didn't have coffee pots. like a cup in the morning without having to shower, dress and go out the door to find 
one. I conceded knowing I could pick a different motel for next night. 
Once in our room we began to notice other missing amenities. 

     "It's rock hard and close to the floor," Ray said, stretching out on 
the bed. "Is there even a mattress?" 

We lifted the covers and saw a box spring and mattress, but had to 
see it to believe it. Touching the nylon/polyester bedspread sent me 
searching for hand lotion. Other things bothered me too.       
  • very few plug-ins 
  • lamps without light bulbs
  • stiff "facial" tissue better for shoes than noses
  • small shower, no bathtub 
  • continental breakfast: a small muffin wrapped in cellophane with undisclosed contents and country of origin.  
As I stood beside the bed that night, the floor began to shake. I 
suspected an earthquake until I heard a train whistle blare. 

     "The tracks must be directly behind the motel," Ray said.
     "I hope one doesn't come through while we're sleeping," I cringed. 
    
Strange place, hard bed, made it hard to sleep but we were tired and drifted off close to midnight. 3:30 a.m. another train roared past, rattling the walls and jarring us awake. How can they stay in business if no one ever comes back? I wondered. Or maybe people stayed there because they didn't know what they were missing. We didn't.  

The next day after work, we found a motel surrounded by redwood pine, manicured lawn and a landscaped water fall. Every detail spoke high 
quality so I braced myself for a higher price. But a small discount made 
it $1.00 less than we paid the night before. 

Stepping in the spacious room, I saw many above and beyond amenities like the company really cared about the comfort of their guests. 

  • coffee maker with real paper cups, not Styrofoam
  • cotton quilt with matching pillow shames
  • towels in a drawer
  • nightlight (automatic)    
  • bathtub/shower
  • microwave/fridge  
  • good lighting
  • desk, comfy office chair, and a plug-in for my laptop
  • continental breakfast in the dining room with plenty of choices- waffles, french toast, boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, bagels, fruit, coffee and real orange juice.
That's the short list. 
Impressive attention to detail and quality. When we checked out, the 
desk clerk handed me two wrapped mints. Not hard ones but butter 
mints, the kind served at weddings. 

Six months later that experience still reminds me of a valuable truth.

We can miss so much of God's goodness 
simply by settling for so much less. 

We worry and stress over finances and family and miss the soul rest God offers (Matt. 11:29).  
We doubt our gifts from Him and miss the path He designed specifically 
for us (Eph. 2:10). 

With attention to detail and quality God offers us amazing amenities so 
we don't have to settle for anything less (Psalm 31:19).
  • Priceless peace with God and the people closest to us.  
  • Blessings we take for granted like water, homes, and shoes. 
  • Treasures like a grateful heart for all He has given
  • Keepsakes like walking with a child and enjoying God's Creation together
  • Gifts of courage to pursue the path He designed for us.   
  • Jewels like knowing He holds all things together, we don't.  
  • Wonders like His unchanging love.
And that's definitely the short list.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment