Sunday, June 15, 2014

Ministry Mystery (Part 2)

You're Invited

We've all been invited to showers, weddings, birthday parties,  and 
graduations. Regardless of the event, these invitations have at least three things in common.
  • state the reason for the occasion  
  • give the time and place
  • and request a response
Recently I ran across a less familiar invitation. The Epistles overflow with reminders that God "calls" us not just to be His children but to do His will. 
He designs a way for us to serve and then instructs us to walk worthy of 
our calling (Ephesians 4:1). Though believers find this topic intriguing, it's 
also one of the most confusing.  

In my ongoing search for understanding I looked up the Greek word for 
call. To my surprise it's best described as an invitation. God invites us 
to join in His work, His ultimate purpose for mankind. This discovery shines new light on the way we approach our calling.

Like any invitation, God clearly states His reason for sending it. He calls us 
out of death, into Life; out of darkness, into Light; out of futility and into 
His work of redeeming the lost. Then He tells us to use our earth time wisely and encourage others to do the same. 

When God invites us to participate in an area of ministry, I think He wants
us to start today. That may include study, training, education, and much 
trial and error. Still, we can only pursue our ministry as we step toward it. 
I've found I only grow as a writer when I write. Funny how that works. I 
never experience a breakthrough on a project until I start working on it. 

R.S.V.P. is the part I hadn't connected to God's call before. I used to 
dabble at writing and when it didn't work, I'd back off thinking I just can't 
do this. But seeing our ministry call from this new angle reveals the
illusive elements are up to us. 

We have to accept the invitation and attend the event. Like many 
principles in God's Word the answers can get lost in simplicity. 

We've declined some of the invitations that have landed in our mailbox. 
Often they've been too far away or came at a busy time. But God invites 
each one of us to participate in His eternal work. He graciously wants 
to use our unique contribution. And this is one invitation we don't want to 
miss. It's up to us to accept, show up and never give up.  


No comments:

Post a Comment