Wednesday, July 2, 2014

How to Get Things Done

When my granddaughter's third grade class had swimming lessons I was 
the only one in the family available to go watch. It's not that she needed 
a fan but her mother and I felt better knowing someone who loved Tori 
could help keep an eye on her. Of course, I can't swim and detest the 
smell of chlorine but I qualify as someone who loves her so I agreed to 
sit in the bleachers during each lesson. 

On the last day, all three third grade classes showed up at the same time 
for a party. A free-for-all celebration with two nonchalant life guards 
and 75 third graders. Kids everywhere were  splashing, yelling, jumping, laughing, tossing beach balls, dunking their friends and occasionally, swimming. Who in their right mind would authorize such chaos?  

As Tori climbed into the pool I called her name. She couldn't hear me. 
walked over to tell her something but overwhelming noise kept her from
hearing me. So I sat nearby and watched. Some kids were driving into 
the deep water, others dog-paddling across the pool. Thankfully Tori still 
chose the comfort of the 3 to 4 foot end.   

How can anyone keep track of all these kids? I wondered. Then it hit me.
I only had to keep an eye on Tori. My assignment: Watch one child for one hour. Other people had their eyes on special children too. After clarifying 
my job description, the confusion and noise took a backseat while 
focused my attention on one 8-year-old girl.     

Years later that experience still reminds me of the power of focusing on 
one thing. Multitasking makes me dizzy and end up with too many 
half-baked projects. As a writer I've found singleness of purpose is the
best way to get something done. Check out the book of Nehemiah if 
you want to see how he helped Jerusalem finish long procrastinated project in record time. 

Sometimes the Lord invites us to do a difficult project. Looking at the 
big picture, it may seem impossible, like supervising a pool full of third 
graders. Where do we start? 

God doesn't like confusion anymore than we do, so He will show us the 
first step. I've discovered step two only becomes clear after we do the 
first thing. I like the way God works. As we learn to work with Him, we'll 
find ourselves getting more done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment