Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The List We Need Most 

Where did November go? As my "not done list" grows and the months 
fly, I think, If I only had more time...then I'd get more accomplished, 
like posting regular blogs. Yep, that's what I need, more time. 

Or maybe I fritter away too much time. Like money, when we put our 
daily hours in "pockets with holes," we're bound to lose some of it.
What creates these holes? 

Being forgetful. My granddaughter and I spent over an hour shopping for Thanksgiving. I grabbed a 21-pound turkey and a cart load of stuff, but 
forgot the potatoes. Really?? The turkey and gravy theme didn't remind 
me? So today I'll drive to the store, put things in the cartstand in the check out line, etc. to buy items I forgot when I did all that two days ago. 

Phone calls. My friends and family have all sorts of schedules, so calls 
come in randomly and regularly. (I'm still learning how to let them leave 
a message during the hours I set aside for writing.) My other big problem 
is saying "yes" when my priorities tell me to say "no." 

I don't have to look too far to find a few of the hole makers in my pocket 
full of time. So I don't need more time after all. I do need to learn how to 
spend it wisely.
   
Another easy list are the things we lack. We know what we need and don't 
have, especially around the holidays. It's amazing how the neglected home improvement projects stand out when visitors are headed your way. Rugs 
need cleaned, walls need paint, and the kitchen and bathroom needs remodeled. New furniture wouldn't hurt either. If we just had a nicer house, family gatherings would be more pleasant. 

So far I've started  two lists: 

1. My to do but not done list  
2. My want but don't have list.    

These may appear legitimate but they only distract me from the one 
really need - a list of all I'm thankful for. Thank God for Thanksgiving, 
which is more than a day in late November and a holiday for Americans. 
It's a global reminder that our greatest need is a grateful heart. 

Inspired by Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, I've been jotting 
down thank you's to God this year. I'm on number 1,135 and those just 
reflect the ones I've thought of when my journal and pen are close at 
hand. I also thank God when I'm driving, washing dishes, or walking with 
my granddaughter. Blessings everywhere. 

It turns out the best way to grow thankful is to say "Thank You". Most of 
us have enough time and enough stuff, but we can never have too much gratitude. God bless your thanks giving on Thanksgiving Day and every 
day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment